Check the Exterior, Door & Windows
- Inspect exterior for crevice cracks and exposed entry points around pipes, then seal them as needed.
- Use weather stripping around doors to prevent cold air from entering the home and caulk windows.
- Replace cracked glass in windows, and if you end up replacing the entire window then prime and paint the exposed wood.
Check the Foundation
- Rake away all debris and edible vegetation from the foundation.
- Seal up entry points to keep the pesky critters out.
- Tuck-point or seal foundation cracks. Mice can slip through space as thin as a dime.
- Inspect sill plates for dry rot or pest infestation.
- Secure crawlspace entrances.
Install Smoke & Carbon Monoxide Detectors
- Some cities require a smoke detector in every room.
- Install a carbon monoxide detector near your furnace and water heater.
- Test smoke and carbon monoxide detectors to make sure they work.
- Buy a fire extinguisher or replace your existing one of it is more than 10 years old.
Prevent Plumbing Freezes
- Locate your water main in the event you need to shut it off in an emergency.
- Drain all garden hoses.
- Insulate exposed plumbing pipes.
- Drain air conditioner pipes, and if it has a water shut-off valve then turn it off.
- If you go on vacation, leave the heat on, set it to at least 55 degrees.
Prepare Landscaping & Outdoor Surfaces
- Trim trees if branches hang too close to the house or electrical wires.
- Ask a gardener when your trees should be pruned to prevent injury during the winter.
- Plant spring flower bulbs and lift bulbs that cannot winter over such as dahlias in areas where the ground freezes.
- Seal driveways, brick patios and wood decks.
- Move sensitive potted plants indoors or to a sheltered area.
Get the Fireplace Ready
- Cap or screen the top of the chimney to keep out rodents and birds.
- If the chimney hasn't been cleaned for a while, call a chimney sweep to remove soot and creosote.
- Buy firewood or chop wood. Store it in a dry place away from the exterior of your home.
- Inspect the fireplace damper for proper opening and closing.
- Check the mortar between bricks and tuck-point, if necessary.
Sourced from - Republic Title, 6348 Gaston Ave., Dallas, TX 75214